Ok, so I don't have a photo tutorial, but I do have a picture of the finished product. I had a ton of black beans in my cupboard and wanted to use them up. I also had steak tips out and wanted to use those, so I created a soup!
So here is the low down.
1 lb of Steak Tips or 1 Large Rib Eye
4 -14.5 oz cans of Black Beans
29 oz can of Tomato Sauce
1 Tablespoon Beef Minors Paste- This is THE BEST soup base ever. They have all different kinds, chicken, beef, lobster, veggie etc. It is based out of Cleveland Ohio and I found out about it from my cooking classes that I took there. It is amazing! They actually make the broth home made and boil it down until it gets to a paste. You then add it to water to make an amazing broth. Truly, you MUST try it.
1 large onion chopped
1/2 of a small bag of baby carrots
1/2 of a red pepper chopped
3 bay leaves
1-2 Tablespoons Cumin ( I used 2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon thyme
58oz of water (use the tomato sauce can and fill twice)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 cloves of garlic minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1) Place 2 cans of black beans in a blender with juices. Puree until completly smooth.
2) Place 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a stock pot. Do not turn on heat yet. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Now turn on heat to low. Allow the garlic to come to a slow sizzle. Once you smell the garlic, add in chopped onion, thyme, cumin, bay leaves, red pepper and carrots. Turn heat up to medium. Let this saute for about 5 minutes.
3) Add tomato sauce, water, pureed beans and Minors Paste. Let this simmer on low.
4) Cut steak tips into small chunks.
5) Heat a skillet over high heat. Add in a Tablespoon olive oil.
6)Place 1/3 of the meat in the pan, DO NOT STIR AROUND. Let this get brown for about 2 minutes, THEN stir around. Move to the stock pot, continue until meat is all browned and added to stock pot.
7) Let this simmer for about 4 hours if not longer.
8) When your about 30 minutes from serving the soup. Add the 2 remaining cans of black beans.
9) Top with sourcream.